Welcome to Mrs. Klimes' Kindergarten Website
Go, Lisle Lions!
Mrs. Christy Klimes
Phone: (630) 493-8179
Welcome to Kindergarten!
I'm very glad to be your child's teacher! We will have a fantastic year! I am looking forward to working with you to make kindergarten the best experience possible for your child.
I can be reached by e-mail or phone. The best times to contact me by phone would be before 8:30 a.m. or after 3:15 p.m. If you need immediate attention, please call the Schiesher office at (630) 493-8100.
Mrs. Klimes' Background:
Bachelor's of Arts in Education from Illinois State University
Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction with a Concentration in Reading
Reading Specialist Certification
Member of Illinois Reading Council and the International Reading Association.
When your child is absent from school, please phone the school attendance line 630-493-8199. This is available 24 hours a day. You must report the absence and the reason for the absence. Please make every effort to place the call by 9AM the day of the absence. We kindly thank you for your cooperation.
- IMPORTANT DATES:
- April 15 is kindergarten registration. Please inform anyone you may know in Lisle who has an incoming kindergartner.
- Schiesher Book Fair: April 20-29
- Map Testing will be the week of April 21 and will take place the following week as well.
- April 24 is the kindergarten Learning Fair/Music Program
- This month is our last Scholastic Book Orderfor the school year. Orders are due NO Later than April 23rd.
- THERE WILL BE NO SCHOOL FOR KINDERGARTEN ON MAY 16!
- OTHER IMPORTANT INFO:
- WHAT ARE RAINBOW WORDS? Rainbow Words is our classroom sight word incentive program. Please practice the list your child is working on and contact me via email or note when your child is ready to read his/her current list to me. Once your child can read through his/her color with no mistakes, he/she gets his/her name on our rainbow chart and moves on to practicing the next color.
- ERROR ON THE RAINBOW WORDS LIST: The list says "white" words however we do not have white on our incentive board. Use the "white" list when your child is on the "gray" words.
- Have you checked out Reading a-z? Go to http://www.raz-kids.com/main/Login so your child can read books online at his/her level! Please be sure to visit the site at least 2 times a week and work with your child.
- March was the last month for the Pizza Hut Book It Program! Please continue to read to and with your child daily! Have your child read to you as well and show you the different strategies we work on to figure out words we do not know!
- If you are interested in being a "Mystery Reader" in our class please e-mail or call me to let me know! We can schedule a time for you to come in and surprise your child!
SIGHT WORD INFORMATION
We began learning sight words! Words for the current week are highlighted below! Please click on "Sight Word Games" below for ideas on how to make practice fun for your child! PLEASE PRACTICE/REVIEW SIGHT WORDS EVERY NIGHT!
Kindergarten Sight Words in Order of Instruction:
Week 1: the, to, and, a
Week 2: I, it, in, you
Week 3: said, look, up, for
Week 4: review games/activities of weeks 1-3
Week 5: is, go, we, little
Week 6: down, can, see, not
Week 7: me, my, big, on
Week8: Review games/activities of weeks 5-7.
Week 9: come, blue, red, where
Week 10: jump, away, here, help
Week 11: two, make, play, yellow
Week 12: Review
Week 13: Review
Week 14: run, find, three, funny
Week 15: he, she, that, was
Week 16: at, but, they, on
Week 17: Review
Week 18: with, all, there, out
Week 19: be, have, am, do
Week 20: did, what, so, get
Week 21: Review
Week 22: like, this, will, yes
Week 23: went, are, now, no
Week 24: came, ride, into
Week 25: good, want, too, pretty
Week 26: four, saw, well, ran
Week 27: eat, who, new, must
Week 28: soon, our, ate, say, under
Week 29: Review
Week 30: please, black, white, brown
Week 31: nine, pink, orange
Week 32: Review
Each Friday, your child will bring home his/her poetry journal. Please be sure to sit and spend some time reading with your child, making sure to talk about his/her illustrations. Journals need to be back at school the following Monday.
Classroom Behavior Expectations/Rewards:
Traffic Light/High Five Chart
- Nightly Homework: Reading is such a special and important thing to do with your child. Please read together every night! Reading aloud to your child and discussing the book you are reading should be relaxing and fun! Enjoy this special time with your child!
- In the beginning of the school year, special assignments will be given from time to time. A note will be included in your child's take-home folder explaining when the special work will need to be returned.
- Beginning the first week of OCTOBER, an official homework packet will be sent home. More information will come home soon regarding these homework packets.