Welcome to Tate Woods Elementary School
Dear Tate Woods Families,
Happy New Year! We are excited to have all students back at Tate Woods after winter break. They came in with smiles and warm hellos along with so many wonderful stories about winter break adventures!
January is a powerful month! We have an opportunity to begin a new year, build new habits and start things anew! I’m pleased to share with you some things to expect and think about as we enter January and continue to move through second trimester!
1. Weather! Winter weather is finally here! Please remember…
- Dress your child warmly. Include coat, hat, gloves.
- Send snow boots and snow pants if your child wants to play in the snow at recess.
- We LOVE donations of any snow pants or snow boots your child has grown out of. We store them year-to-year.
- MAP assessment in grades 1 and 2 will be taking place Jan 11-14th. Students will be taking the assessment in their classrooms on laptops rather than in our computer lab or library. This offers the students an opportunity to take the assessment in their usual learning location with the posters/anchor charts they use each day for their learning! Results will be sent home the first week of February.
- 2nd Grade will be taking the OLSAT (Otis Lennon School Ability Test) February 22-26. This assessment is given in 2nd and 4th grade only. Results are sent home in April.
3. Reading is something that we work on every day at Tate Woods. As a parent, you can help by…
- reading with or to your child every night
- talking with your child about books, characters, non-fiction subjects and what you enjoy about reading
- asking your child to read books at their level (Books that seem “too easy” are ok!)
- limiting “screen time” for your child to 30-60 minutes per evening (TV, iPad, video games, DS, etc…)
- having books in your home
4. Thank you to…
- LEHSO and parent volunteers for serving as wonderful hosts at our winter parties in December!
- Tate Woods volunteers. We couldn’t do it without you!
- Lisle Education Foundation for your generous support of in-house field trips hosted by DuPage Children’s Museum for grades 1 and 2 and implementation of our “Bilingual Backpack Program” that provides children’s books in Spanish, Polish, Urdu, Gujarati and Albanian to families at Tate Woods.
- All the parents who worked on our Tate Woods Book Leveling Project! It was amazing to see how quickly the job was done with so many people working together!
Dates to mark in your calendar:
Jan 16th, 4-6:30pm LEHSO Roller Skating Night
Jan 18th NO SCHOOL – Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Jan 25th, 7:30pm Board of Education Meeting
February 12th Valentine Parties, 10:15am @ Tate Woods
Early Dismissal @ 11:45am
February 15th NO SCHOOL, Presidents’ Day
Save the Date: March 3rd @ 7:00pm – 2nd Grade Music Program
Here's to a wonderful month at Tate Woods.
Love and Hug One Another,
Mrs. Gosselink, Principal
|Good News Stories from Tate Woods!||Tate Woods Virtual Backpack|
|January 2016 Newsletter||Open House Presentation|
|Family Reading Night Invitation|
Find Us Online
|Follow us on Twitter @wgosselink2||Friend us on Facebook|
|Directions to Tate Woods|
Schedules & Buses
|AM Bus Routes||PM Bus Routes|
|Get Involved With LEHSO||Lisle Library District|
|Parent-Student Handbook 2015-2016||PreK-5 School Improvement Plan|
|Vision & Mission||Rights Concerning Student's School Records|
(Username:tatewoods Password: books)
Tate Woods Elementary School
1736 Middleton Ave.
Lisle, IL 60532
Absence Line: 630-493-8099