The grading philosophy of Lisle Junior High School is based on the following Grading Understandings. We hope this aligns our approach to assessing students and their acquisition of learning standards.
- Grades communicate student achievement of learning standards; students’ grades should not be reduced or inflated due to student behaviors outside of the standards.
- Standards are clearly communicated to students with clear indicators of proficiency and exemplars.
- Grading policies are consistent among teachers of a course and common assessments are utilized to measure student achievement.
- Students learn at different rates and should have multiple opportunities to demonstrate their knowledge of standards; students are expected to take steps to correct errors of knowledge, understanding or skills.
- Formative assessments are used to provide timely and descriptive feedback in order to allow students to self-assess progress towards a standard.